… at least that’s what Cédric thought when I set down these two glasses:

I shook my head no.

“Frappuccino?” He asked hopefully, although the sounds from the kitchen must have tipped him off to the true contents of that glass: fresh brown juice.

It’s not always a joy to be the boyfriend of a food person, especially when that person’s newest hobby is pulverizing the contents of the crisper. Up to now, the experiments have been cheerful: carrot-apple-ginger and citrus combinations that turned out sweet and sunny juice. Today I crossed over to the dark side and began to toy with spinach-celery-garlic and so on. My eyes are bright, my tail is bushy, my breath is rank.

You see, I am (perhaps temporarily, as these things go) a new convert to juicing. My inspiration is the avoidance of scurvy, not the denial of anything fun. I’m not on a diet or trying to detox (these toxins being key to my personality). I simply find it fun – really, really fun – to obliterate carrots and other noisy fare. Juicing has also helped me to lower my coffee consumption from, say, ten cups a day to three. And this should go a long way toward preventing my heart from exploding.

I beg you blogosphere: what should I juice next?

Tagged with:

6 Responses to Guinness for breakfast

1. Phyllis says:

You have inspired me to get out my juicer and pulverize my leftover carrots and apples. My favorite is carrot, orange and ginger juice but that’s not very original. I have a book that gives the recipe for Green Juice that includes 2 cucumbers, 4 kale leaves (not sure where to find in Paris though), 4 romaine leaves, 4 stalks of celery, 2 broccoli stems, 2 pears, and gingerroot.

2. Ptipois says:

Well you have beets, radish of all types, kohlrabi (peeled),

3. Ptipois says:

Oops clicked too soon. Also take a look at the Chinese markets for all kinds of green vegetables and fresh aromatics like galangal, green ginger, nashi pear, scallions, etc.

4. Chrisos says:

the color of you mixture is surprising! Did the juice oxide?

Beetrup, grapes and apple is not bad.
    Grape juice introduces two phases, which can be fun (looking like a b52)
    I have recently mixed cauliflower, and the result was very mixed.
    Usually, people tend to prefer fruits to vegetables.
    Celery branche adds a strong grass taste.
    Peeled prickly pears can also be nice with grapes and apples.

5. josephine says:

I’ve been addicted to smoothies for about a year, and I love the sound my immersion blender makes when it’s pulverizing the frozen peaches or mangoes. I love adding some baby spinach and a dollop of Greek yogurt for creaminess.

6. Camille says:

I bet quinces would be good and noisy. :)