Macaron lovers rejoice—March 20 is the Jour du Macaron in Paris. This annual celebration, dreamed up five years ago by the famed pâtissier Pierre Hermé, finds pastry shops giving their meringue-y little delights away for free.
Customers are encouraged to make a charitable donation on their way out the door. It’s a sweet idea in celebration of spring and in support of research to treat rare diseases.
The crowds will be large this Saturday at Pierre Hermé, with fans lining up to choose any three of his famous macarons. Tempting flavors for spring 2010 include white truffle with grilled hazelnut and foie gras with chocolate, along with traditional favorites like coffee, caramel, and three kinds of vanilla. But Hermé isn’t the only one sharing his cookies…
> For a list of participating pâtisseries, continue reading at Budget Travel.
> For a report on last year’s celebration, check out Dorie Greenspan’s post here.
- Happy 90th Birthday Roquefort! February 19, 2015
- Our Guide to Paris Restaurants February 18, 2015
- Special Report: Haute Cuisine in Paris February 18, 2015
- Paris Food & Wine Events February 18, 2015
- Our Guide to the Salon de L’Agriculture February 17, 2015
- Our 50 Favorite Paris Restaurants February 2, 2015
- Our Favorite Three Star Restaurants in Paris February 1, 2015